Flat № 50 has not always been «odd» but we can say it was communal from the very beginning. In fact it never belonged to one owner, there were never separate «bedrooms», «dining room», «study» etc.
Since 1904 three floors of the left wing of the house were occupied by the hostel for the students of Higher Courses for Women founded by Guerrier. For this purpose each of two separate flats were united in one, in particular flats № 50 and № 41. As a result a long hotel-type corridor with rooms on both sides and without bathrooms appeared. Most likely that this large room with a wide window, located at the end of the corridor, served for the girls as a hall for classes and recreation.
The present interior rather recalls a living room with a lampshade from Bulgakov’s «Days of the Turbins» than a salon of pre-revolutionary state-owned hostel. Now here among the pre-revolutionary furniture, old photographs, prints and the piano from the last third of the 19th century different concerts and performances are held.